Wednesday, May 23, 2012

strawberry margarita cupcakes

It started when my good friend, Anica (who's also my fashion photographer), wanted to bake cupcakes one day. Since then I've been on a baking craze, especially cupcakes that's alcohol infused (highly influenced by my friends here, of course). Since Cinco de Mayo was this month, I wanted to bake something with tequila in it for my friends so I decided to bake these strawberry margarita cupcakes.

This cupcake recipe was taken from The Baker Chick but I did a little tweaking to the recipe (see below).

Cupcake:
3 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
3 limes, zested and juiced
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk

Strawberry Tequila Puree:
1/2 of 16oz container of strawberries
1 lime, zested and juiced
1/2 cup of Patron tequila
3 tablespoons of sugar

Frosting:
1 cup shortening
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 cups of powdered sugar
1/3 cup strawberry tequila puree

Directions:
Preheat the oven  to  325˚ F. Line two cupcake pans with paper liners. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt and stir with a fork to blend. In a separate large bowl, combine the salt, sugar, and eggs and blend together with a mixer (I don't have a stand mixer so I used a hand electric mixer instead). Next, beat in the lime zest, lime juice, and vanilla extract into the mixture. After it is all blended, mix in the dry ingredient by alternating it between the buttermilk and dry ingredients until it is all incorporated. Divide the batter evenly into each cupcake liner (about 3/4 full) and bake for 20-22 mins, or until a toothpick is inserted in the center and comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool and remove from the cupcake pans.


In a blender or food processor, add the strawberries, tequila, sugar, lime zest and lime juice and puree until there are no more strawberry chunks (I used a little over half of the 16oz container).  Set aside.


In a large bowl, creme the shortening and butter until it is fluffy. Next, add 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar at a time while alternating between the 1/3 cup of strawberry tequila puree.

To fill the cupcake, I used a spoon to spoon out about half an inch of cake out of the middle and filled it with the strawberry puree.

Spread the frosting over the cupcake with a spoon or use a piper to pipe on the frosting. For garnish, you can use limes but I used strawberries instead because it is the Fresh Pick of May 2012 :)

 My friends seem to enjoy these cupcakes, I hope you do too! :)
instagram: phuphubear

<3, phu

1 comment: