Friday, February 1, 2013

Pho at Phu's

So part of my growth project is to try cook at least 1 new recipe every other week. I love Vietnamese food and want to learn how to cook more of it. I asked my friends and roommates if they'd be my guinea pigs for my pho and thankfully they said yes. :)

Pho takes a really long time to make so I decided to put my crock pot to use. I used this recipe and this one as a guide. I used oxtail, toasted the spices, and broiled the onions and ginger.

Pho broth:
1 lb oxtails
2 lb eye of round beef slices
2 packages of beef meatballs
1 package of noodles (Banh Pho)
1 package of pho spices (can be found at an Asian grocery store - very convenient because it comes with a mesh bag that can be easily taken out once the broth is done)
2 inch knob of ginger sliced
1 onion
1 carrot sliced
5 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp fish sauce

For serving:
Cilantro
Thai basil
Lime
Hoisin sauce
Siracha sauce

1. Broil onion and ginger in oven for 15 mins

2. Toast spices for about 2 mins in pan

3. Wash oxtails with water and place in crock pot with garlic, onion, ginger, bag of spices
4. Fill crock pot with water and add salt and fish sauce

5. Set crock pot on high for 6 hours
6. Add meatballs into the broth
7. Boil noodles for about 6-8 mins
8. Assemble bowl of pho - noodles, sliced beef, pho broth, meatballs
9. Add basil, cilantro, lime, hoisin sauce and siracha sauce (optional)


So simple with the crock pot! Everyone said the pho was a success. Enjoy! :)

<3, phu


2 comments:

  1. delicious! It's about lunch time and going through your blog is making me hungry. Btw, have you tried the premade spice bags for pho?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the premade spices bag for pho for this recipe. It's so convenient! :)

      Delete