Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Sweet and Simple

I've never been a fan of beets, probably because the only ones I was exposed to as a child came from cans. Moving to the Bay Area, I gained access to fresh beets and couldn't get enough. As one of the kids I babysit says, "Beets are nature's candy."

Roasted Beets and Goat Cheese Salad w/ Sauteed Beet Greens
Roasted Beets
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
  2. Cut stems off beets and wash vigorously
  3. Lightly coat with olive oil and wrap in foil
  4. Place on pan and roast until tender (fork should poke through center), roughly 15 minutes
  5. Let cool, peel skin (I place my beets in a paper towel and rub gently to avoid pink fingers), and slice
Sauteed Beet Greens
  1. Remove stems and coarsely chop greens
  2. Wash thoroughly
  3. Sautee in pan with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper until lightly wilted (I over-salted, so I added a splash of orange juice to balance things out)
  4. Assemble with roasted beets and crumbled goat cheese
Making this healthy and tasty salad came just at the right time. After our trip to Vegas, I needed something light and detoxifying. We had a great time celebrating D's birthday in Sin City, lots of grubbin' and dancing and very little sleep. I like to keep it simple whether or traveling or at home. So Little Black Dresses are my go-to for any occasion. Short, long, tight, flowy, with sleeves, without sleeves; I have every combination. I went with the most obvious Vegas appropriate combination; short and tight with cutouts.

Happy Holidays from FLAN!

No comments:

Post a Comment