Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Grubbin' with Loved Ones

I have personal reservations about celebrating Thanksgiving, mainly because of the origins of the holiday, but I will never turn down an opportunity to gather with loved ones and grub! I have great memories of family and friends gathering at my parents' house for a huge feast. The highest attendance was near 90 people. This past week marked the smallest Thanksgiving dinner in our history, and it was just as lovely. Leftovers are inevitable with 90 guests or 6. So here's an idea for repurposing them into brunch:

Turkey and Stuffing Egg Cups
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  2. Grease muffin pan
  3. Mash a layer of stuffing into the bottom of each cup (I added an egg to the stuffing before mashing to hold it together)
  4. Bake for 5-8 mins to toast the stuffing a bit
  5. Place strips of turkey around the cup
  6. Break an egg into each (You might have to eliminate some of the white or the yolk, if you're concerned about cholesterol)
  7. Bake for another 18-20 mins or until egg is set
  8. Top with gravy, cream corn, or thinned cranberry sauce
Here are some other brunch ideas I had on reserve in case our eyes were bigger than our stomachs (they weren't by much!):
  • Baked yams into biscuits with cranberry glaze
  • Creamed corn into sweet corn cakes with sour cream
  • Turkey and honey baked ham hash with left over veggies

You'd think we'd be stuffed after that feast, but the excessive grubbing continued for the next three days. Good thing I packed oversized sweaters to hide the belly! I dressed one up with a loose braided bun and Pegasus. It was a bit extravagant for the neighborhood, but I felt put together while shoveling food into face.

No comments:

Post a Comment